I would totally recommend Marie Slodowska Curie Actions. The INTERACT project represented my first step as a researcher in the field of electrical machines and drives. The combination of industrial and academic partners provides a broad view of applied research that is found in real industrial practices. In addition, it provided many resources that helped on my research and career development. I am very grateful I had this opportunity to start my research path.
Regarding workgroups and besides the interaction with their supervisor, the situation is different for each ESR:
- ESR1 was involved in a workgroup composed of one R&D engineer from ULB, teaching-assistant Hugo Carlier.
- ESR2 collaborates well with colleagues from Tampere University (Finland, Prof. P. Rasilo), for the 2D mesh generation of SMC material sample models, and from KU Leuven (Belgium, Prof. W. Martinez) for measurements on ring core material samples.
- ESR3 was involved in a workgroup composed of one R&D engineer from ULB, teaching-assistant Hugo Carlier, which resulted in a scientific paper presented at EV conference in October 2019.
- ESR4 was involved in different research works during his main activity. From October 2018 until March 2020 his main activity took place in Siemens Industry Software NV, Leuven, Belgium, where many interactions took place. A paper in collaboration between ESR4 and ESR6 is one of the products of such collaboration. During the Covid-19 pandemic offices were locked and fewer interactions took place. ESR4 was in contact with prof. Johan Gyselinck, who is co-author of two papers from ESR4. From January 2021, ESR4 developed his activity in Cluj-Napoca, within the EMDs group. Interaction between young researchers took place but no publications arose as a product of such interaction. In addition to the main activity locations, ESR4 was placed on several secondments in Brose, Würzburg, Germany; Université d’Artois, Bethune, France; and Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain.
The research work carried out over the last years within the INTERACT project frame can be divided in two periods. The time spent in Siemens was oriented towards the exploration of what is needed in industry regarding the design of electrical machines and drives. The link to Electromagnetic Interference and high-frequency phenomena was found as an interesting field that could bring additional knowledge to the project partners and the ESR. An extensive literature review was performed during that time and several paths for an original contribution were explored. The second period of the ESR research was heavily influenced by the covid-19 pandemic. The main work location switched to home. Around January 2021 the ESR travelled to Cluj-Napoca to perform further research on the topic at hand. The main result is the development of a methodology to predict the high-frequency impedance of permanent magnet synchronous machines. This includes the computation of parasitic slot capacitances and frequency-dependent resistances and inductances. Several experimental campaigns were performed. The first one in June 2021 in BROSE, Würzburg, Germany and the second one in Université d’Artois, Bethúne, France. These experiments were aimed to experimentally validate the developed method. The main conclusion is that this prediction method is able to map qualitative trends of the impedance response by utilizing simple input data, which makes it feasible for early-stage applicability. The methodology is accepted to provide some degree of novelty since publications in peer reviewed journals and conferences were achieved.
Other training activities
|ESR||Attended courses (other than the one in INTERACT) Title/period/location||Attending events (other than the one in INTERACT)
|4||MotorSolve Introductory/05-2019/Online||EV2019 / 05-09-2019 / Bucharest, Romania|
|MagNet Introductory/05-2019/Online||EMC Europe / 02-09-2019 – 06-09-2019 / Barcelona, Spain|
|HEEDS training / 02-2019 / Leuven,Belgium||EPE 2020 / 22-10-2020 – 23-10-2020 / Online|
|2021 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives (IEMDC) / 16-05-2021 – 18-05-2021 / Online|
|European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 2021 (EPE21) / 06-10-2021 – 10-10-2021 / Online|
|ICEM 2022 / 05-09-2022 – 08-09-2022 / Valencia, Spain|
Disemination and communication activities
T5.4 General public-oriented actions organization. The beneficiaries of INTERACT attended or organized several events dedicated to general public, but not only.
In March 2019:
INTERNATIONAL SALON OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, INNOVATION AND INVENTION – PROINVENT (https://proinvent.utcluj.ro/salon.html) – Claudia Martis (UTCN) gave a presentation about the on-going projects at the Electromechanical group, including INTERACT.
Smart Cities and Mobility Forum, Sofia, Bulgaria (https://events.economedia.bg/en/event/117), Paul Minciunescu (ICPE) attended the event and presented a paper.
Forumul Industriei AUTO 2019, Craiova, Romania, (https://www.romania2019.eu/event/forum-dedicat-industriei-auto/) Paul Minciunescu (ICPE) attended the event and presented a paper.
In April 2019, at UTCN the research projects at the Electromechanical Systems group were presented to several groups of high school students visiting the laboratories of the university.
In October 2019, ICPE organized EV 2019, conference (INTERACT organized a special session), workshop (INTERACT organized the third training event) and exhibition (https://www.evshow.ro/).
In November 2019 in the frame of a meeting with the representatives of the Cluj-Napoca municipality, Claudia Martis gave a presentation about the on-going projects at the Electromechanical group, including INTERACT.
T5.5 Participating to specific events. The members of the management team and the ESRs attended different events during the reporting period:
IEMDC 2019 May: Sebastian Ciceo (ESR6) and Fabien Chauvicourt (presenting one paper)
EMC 2019 September: Jose Enrique Ruiz Sarrio (ESR4) (attending the conference)
EV 2019 October: All the members of management team and all the ESRs (6 papers were presened in a special INTERACT session)
EV 2019 (https://www.evshow.ro/) was organized by ICPE, with a special session for INTERACT and integrating the third training event.
EPE 2020 October: Jose Enrique Ruiz Sarrio (ESR4) (attending the conference online)
IEMDC 2021 May: Jose Enrique Ruiz Sarrio (ESR4) (attending the conference online)
EPE21 2021 October: Jose Enrique Ruiz Sarrio (ESR4) (attending the conference online)
ICEM 2022 September: Jose Enrique Ruiz Sarrio (ESR4) (will attend the conference)
Claudia Martis attending EMMAT Workshops in Cracow (April 2019) and Brno (October 2019) and presenting INTERACT.
Ioana Vintiloiu, Adrian Pop and Andrej Kacenka attending internal Brose Research work presentations and “Zentrum für Digitale Innovationen Mainfranken” ;
- Muhammad Usman Hassan, Hugo Carlier, Johan Gyselinck, Yves Mollet, Homogenization of Multi-turn Windings in Electrical Machines with Fewer Number of Conductors 2019 – Electric Vehicles International Conference (EV), DOI 10.1109/ev.2019.8892952, https://zenodo.org/record/3574031
- Sarrió, J. E. R., Ciceo, S., Martis, C., & Chauvicourt, F. (2019, October). Comparative study between PMSM models used for NVH system-level simulation. In 2019 Electric Vehicles International Conference (EV) (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Sarrió, J. E. R., Martis, C., & Chauvicourt, F. (2020, October). Numerical computation of parasitic slot capacitances in electrical machines. In 2020 International Conference and Exposition on Electrical And Power Engineering (EPE) (pp. 146-150). IEEE.
- Ruiz-Sarrió, J. E., Chauvicourt, F., Gyselinck, J., & Martis, C. (2021, May). High-Frequency Modelling of Electrical Machine Windings Using Numerical Methods. In 2021 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC) (pp. 1-7). IEEE.
- Ruiz-Sarrió, J. E., Chauvicourt, F., Gyselinck, J., & Martis, C. (2022, June). Impedance Modelling Oriented Towards the Early Prediction of High-Frequency Response for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Submited for review: Minor revisions
- Ruiz-Sarrió, J. E., Chauvicourt, F., & Martis, C. (2022, September). Sensitivity Analysis of a Numerical High-Frequency Impedance Model for Rotating Electrical Machines. Accepted for presentation in ICEM 2022, Valencia, Spain.